You can listen to the full podcast episode here:
Are you someone who tends to avoid the difficult conversations with others? Maybe you are way more interested in keeping the peace over rocking the boat, even if staying quiet is negatively affecting your work or personal life. Having confrontational conversations with someone can be tough, emotional, and uncomfortable. However, I would argue that avoiding these conversations costs you more. Your ability to engage in difficult conversations is directly proportional to the quality of your relationships, fulfillment of your aspirations, and successful navigation of your career.
As humans, we defer from these candid conversations for many reasons. For example, we don’t want to risk making another person uncomfortable or unhappy. Perhaps you worry that it will hurt your career or destroy someone else’s opinion of you. In reality, not confronting can hurt your relationships and career in another way. Your voice is your most valuable asset and not using it could hurt your confidence and impact long-term. The most important thing to remember is that with a bit of intention, it is absolutely possible to effectively talk out disagreements and walk away with a positive outcome. Let me show you how my clients and I do this remarkably easily and well!
In this episode I share:
- A personal story of when I learned how to use intention in my communication, despite feeling uncomfortable
- Ways that you can reroute your resistance to allowing others to be unhappy
- Using the acronym VOICE to make conflict conversation easy
- Why transparency and intention is vital in communication
- Examples of language to use during challenging conversations to avoid the need for the fight or flight response
- What happens when we have a breakdown in communication
Join the waitlist for the Bold Leader Life School here. You’ll receive first access to details when they are released!
- Tune into episode 60: LISTENER FAVORITE: Navy SEAL Shares Relief Tactics For Managing Stress And Failure Even In The Toughest Times
- Get on the Bold Leader Life School waitlist here.
- Learn more about the Playing Full Out Revolution.
- Connect with Rita on LinkedIn
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts for more tips, tools, and inspiration to leading the optimal vision of your life, love, and leadership. Remember, a half version of you is not enough. The world needs the fullest version of you at play.
About Rita Hyland
With over 20 years of experience as an executive and leadership coach, Rita helps leaders — emerging and established — excel in corporate and entrepreneurial environments.
Rita believes if leaders were more clear about how transformation really works and more intentional about creating what they want, their impact, success, and influence in the world would be unstoppable.
Through her coaching programs, private coaching, and masterminds, Rita shows leaders how to win consistently and create the impact and legacy they desire.
Central to Rita’s work is the understanding that you will never outperform your current programming, no matter how strong your willpower.
When you learn to use Rita’s proprietary Neuroleadership Growth Code, a technology which uses the best of neuroscience and transformational psychology to hit the brain’s buttons for change, YOU become both the solution and the strategy.
Her mission is to end talented, hard-working, and self-aware leaders spending another day stuck in self-doubt or confusion and not contributing their brilliant work and talent the world so desperately needs.