10 Signs You’ve Found the Work You’re Meant To Do
I love summer reading. This summer as I head to the beach I’ve added the autobiography, I Am Malala, to my bag.
I’m sure you remember her. She’s the young Pakistani girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban on her school bus when she refused to be silenced in her fight for girls’ education.
Surprisingly to many, she survived.
Malala spoke at the United Nations last year. And at only 16-years-old she is the youngest recipient to win the Nobel Peace Prize. Pretty inspiring young lady!
But what amazes me most is how this young girl found her purpose and passion at such a young age.
On top of that, if you’ve listened to her, you know she pursues her calling FEARLESSLY despite threats to her life.
Isn’t this what we all want? Not the threats on our life–but to know the reason we’re here and have the courage to do it?
Over the years I’ve helped 100’s of my clients dig deep to uncover their reason for being here and then take the leap to live it.
During that time I’ve identified the signs to know you’ve found your “what,” your “it,” your calling —so that you can have the same confidence as Malala you’re headed in the “right” direction for YOU. These signs take the guesswork out of it. Here they are.
Ten Signs You’ve Found the Work You’re Meant To Do
- You’ll realize you’ve been doing it or training for it as long as you can remember.
- You realize you can begin doing it immediately. Yes, you may need another certification, but your natural gifts are already there. Whether your calling is designing homes, leading a global movement, authoring a book, healing, or even joining Doctors Without Borders, there is a way to begin it in some way –today.
- Crazy things you’ll call ‘coincidence’ or ‘weird’ will start happening.
- You’ll take what feels like a big leap and the next clear step will present itself. It will support you with exactly what you need in the moment.
- You’ll feel like you’re “home.” It feels that natural. Your body may relax or get excited just thinking about it. No matter what, you feel ‘lighter’ and ‘freer.’
- You’ll never want to retire. Even if you inherited or made enough money to never work again, you’ll still want to keep doing it.
- You’ll notice and be grateful for the last ‘closed door,’ mistake or failure because it redirected you to something better.
- You’ll be surprisingly calm and centered even in the face of obstacles. At another time what would have easily had you anxious has you illogically calm and certain that you are still exactly where you are meant to be. It feels different; the sense of calm in the midst of chaos.
- Mentors and others who you need will magically find you with perfect timing. Proving the teacher shows when the student is ready.
- You’ll notice signs to keep going just when you think you should quit. The exact amount of money to pay a bill appears, an unexpected opportunity or client shows on the day you’re planning to close the doors, or a stranger in the grocery line delivers a message that speaks right to you.
OR, if you’re like my client the other day, when you hear your calling spoken to you, you cry. The truth makes you cry.
For me, I knew I’d found the work I was meant to do when I heard myself say, “I don’t know how I’ll do it, but I must. And I will work at it until I’m 90 to make it happen.”
Do you know what you’re here for? Are you listening to what’s trying to get your attention?
You can do it. It’s more doable than you might think. And, it’s important to the world that you show up for it!
How could anything be more fun than to love what you do and feel that it matters?
If you’re “fine” but want to identify the work you can’t NOT do by your last day, contact me at [email protected]. We’ll contact you directly within 24 hours to set up a complimentary strategy session. There are opportunities to work one-on-one with me coming in September.
It’s your time!
Cheers to the next half being your best half,